FAQ’s – Tenant

Home / FAQ’s – Tenant

FAQ’s – Tenant

How Can I pay My Rent?

Direct deposit to our rental trust account is the preferred method of paying your rent to our office. You may pay your rent in the following ways:

  • Any branch of the Westpac Bank (banking details provided when you sign up)
  • Internet Banking
  • Direct debit from your account to our rental trust account
  • EFTPOS in the office (credit cards attract a surcharge)

Please ensure you include your reference number when making all payments.

How Can I report Maintenance?

To report maintenance, please fill in our maintenance request form and E-Mail it to reception@prestigealice.com.au

If your maintenance is urgent, please phone our office on 08 89 522 849.

Please ensure all maintenance is reported ASAP, as all damage incurred from delays in reporting maintenance are considered the tenants responsibility.

What Is a Property Condition Report (PCR)?

A Property Condition Report is a document containing a detailed description of the property at the commencement of the lease; it will be used during the final inspection to ensure the property has been returned in the same condition as it was in the beginning of the lease. It is important that it is checked, signed and returned to us within 5 business days. Failure to sign & return the Condition Report to us within this time frame will result in the final inspection being carried out against our original condition report & photo’s (a copy of which was provided on CD at beginning of lease).

What defines “reasonably clean” in my final inspection?

Prestige Property Management defines “reasonably clean” as where a surface, item or thing is (in it’s entirety) free from dirt, marks or stains and can not be further enhanced by washing, scrubbing, brushing, wiping or vacuuming it using domestic supplies/cleaning equipment. This does not include staining/marks on floors/walls/item/etc. that may require professional cleaning to bring it back to a suitable standard within the realm of fair wear and tear (eg. staining of carpets, texta marks on walls, etc.)

How often are my inspections and do I have to be present?

Your Inspections will occur every three months from the commencement of your lease.

Notice will be sent to you at least 7 days before your inspection & while you have every right to be present for an inspection, your presence is not necessary.

How much notice do I have to give if I wish to vacate?

14 Days’ notice must be given in writing either 14 days prior to the expiry of the lease or after the lease has expired. A forwarding address & bank account details (for bond refund) must also be provided to the office. A copy of the Tennant Vacate Form is available on our website.

What About Garbage Collection?

Garbage is collected by the council weekly (in areas that have garbage collection). For the bin to be collected; it must be on the street on the day of collection. The council only collects what is in the bin, so please don’t stack rubbish next to it, as it won’t be collected.

To find out which day the garbage is collected in your street, please refer to our website under the tenant information tab.

How do I use/care for my Air Conditioner?

Tenants with an Evaporative Air Conditioner (Swampy A/C):
Operate the unit as follows:

For A/C’s with Switches:

  • Turn the pump on and wait 3-5 minutes for the pads to soak
  • Turn the Fan on HIGH first
  • Select the fan speed as desired

For A/C’s with A Digital Control Panel

  • Press the “ON/POWER” button
  • Select the Mode of Operation (Manual/Automatic, Pump/No Pump)

An evaporative A/C works best with some airflow, opening windows or doors can help to direct the air and allow adequate airflow. On humid days, an Evaporative A/C works best with the pump turned off and the fan on high with slightly more air flow.

Your Swampy should require very little maintenance on your behalf, if your Air Conditioner is making noises out of the ordinary, a maintenance request form can be found on our website.

Tenants with Refrigerated Air Conditioning:

Due To the many different brands, please follow the instructions provided with the property on operating the unit.

To Keep the A/C running efficiently, we recommend cleaning the filters monthly, or more often in heavily used areas. This is best done in warm water, and let to dry before reinstalling.

We don’t recommend running the unit at its lowest setting for long periods as it can cause ice build-up in some models.

What About Blown Light Bulbs?

All Bulb’s, Fluro’s and Starters are the tenant’s responsibility.

When a new lease is commenced, all lights are in working order. And as such, we expect the same when you vacate.

Why Does My Shower Screen Turn White?

Alice Springs has a high level of calcium in its water supply; this leaves a white film on sinks, showers, baths, taps, etc. It will require regular & thorough cleaning to avoid build-up. Products such as White vinegar, Jiff, Bi-Carb Soda, Citrus Acid and CLR are useful for cleaning/controlling calcium.

Why Do My Drains Have a Bad Smell Coming from Them?

On rare occasions a drain can get a build-up in the trap under the fixture it serves (E.g., sink, bath or floor waste) before calling our office, you should try using a product such as “Draino” as per the instructions; it can be purchased from most supermarkets/hardware stores.

What Do I Do If I Lock Myself Out?

If you lock yourself out and it is within office hours, the office may be able to provide you with a key to gain access to your property. To do so, our office will require a copy of photo ID before we will lend you the office copy of the key. This key is to be returned to our office on the same day.  Please note: These arrangements can only be made during office hours.

If lock yourself our after-office hours, you may call our after-hours number to gain access to your property. Please be advised that there will be a $100 fee for this service.

Alternatively, you can search the yellow pages for locksmiths available to let you in. Our preferred locksmith is listed on our preferred contractor’s page.

Who Is Responsible for The Garden?

If your property includes a gardener, then you have very little to do with the garden, however, if you notice problems with irrigation lines or trees/plants decline in health, please report it to our office ASAP.

If your property does not include a gardener, then it is the tenant’s responsibility to ensure all plants, tree’s & lawns are watered adequately, kept healthy, pruned/mowed and fertilized from time to time if necessary.

If irrigation problems are evident (drying leaves, dead plants, dry soil, etc), please first check that the controller is plugged in and turned on or if you have a battery-operated timer, that the batteries are not flat. If this does not resolve the problem, please contact our office ASAP. Please also contact our office if you notice leaks or excessive water usage, as this may use more than your available quota, making you liable to pay the difference.

Who Is Responsible for The Pool/Spa?

Unless the care of the pool is part of the lease, the tenant is responsible to maintain the pool, this should be done as per the instructions given to you during the “Pool School” provided to you at the beginning of the lease.

Can I Have an Inflatable/Temporary Pool or Spa?

Unfortunately, the act and NT pool fencing regulations do not allow for a temporary pool/spa on a rental property other than one provided with the property. Installation of a pool/spa is NOT allowed and will be taken very seriously.

The form could not be loaded.